Coleslaw. I was never someone to get excited about it.
I’ve never really known anyone else to get that excited about it…
I mean… it’s coleslaw. Like, shredded cabbage. Usually a bit soggy, dressing pooling and a little watery in the bottom of the bowl (ick)… taste is almost universally disappointing. Right? WRONG.
This is what I thought of coleslaw until I started making my own. A friend of mine once described her attitude towards coleslaw transforming (once she tasted my recipe and then made it herself) from ‘.. “Meh” to “Hand me the bowl, I don’t know what the rest of you are having!” (Thanks Dr Bec you are awesome… and total photo credit to you too! I couldn’t find a pic of my own slaw to post so I used yours!)
Seriously. To risk blowing my own trumpet, THIS coleslaw is tasty. It is really easy to make, it can be made in advance – in fact, it SHOULD be made in advance (at least 8 hours in the fridge before serving) to let the flavours develop fully which of course is perfect when you are prepping for a party because you can’t make EVERYTHING right before people arrive right?
I take a short cut by buying pre-shredded “slaw” from the supermarket – I particularly like the look of rainbow slaw because I am a sucker for pretty colours. The one you get from Woolies or Coles has shredded beetroot, carrot and red and green cabbage in it I think, but of course you can shred your own if you are keen.
It goes perfectly with my pulled pork recipe (I just searched for it to add the link and realised I haven’t shared it yet!!! OMG – next food post I promise! How have I not blogged about it yet?!) or my pressure cooked ribs (find the recipe here), or at any BBQ meal really.
- 1 head large green cabbage (or 2 small)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and grated and the juice hand-squeezed out)
- OR you can just boy 2 packets of pre-shredded slaw vegies from the supermarket
- 3 spring onions
- 2 tsp celery seeds (optional)
- 1 cup of whole egg mayonnaise (I like the Zoosh or Hellman’s brands best)
- 1/3 cup of single pouring cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or you can substitute Greek yoghurt if you like)
- 2-3 tbs white vinegar
- 3 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup white sugar (+ 2 tbs to add to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt (add to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Chop vegies finely
- Whick all dressing ingredients togerher
- Pour over the vegies and mix well
- Store in the fridge for at least 8 hours (or best overnight) to blend/develop flavours
You do NOT have to be a fan of coleslaw to love this recipe.
It is the PERFECT side dish for any BBQ and is 1000x better than store bought slaw, and people will be soooooper impressed that you MADE YOUR OWN coleslaw (like, who DOES that even)?
Only you and pro-chefs right? Ha ha ha!
Try and and let me know later how much you LOVED it.
Headed off on 2 weeks’ leave now… don’t miss me too much!! ;P
I’ll be back with my infamous pulled pork recipe in a few weeks! Woot!!!!
Stay chill peeps!